Saturday, December 26, 2009

Grasping for Answers That Don't Exist

First, I get my ass kicked in bowling by Big Shooter (of Dawsonville, GA) in Roswell. Then I have the rare privilege of watching the Thrashers get embarrassed during the 3rd period of an NHL game in Tampa, FL, a game which was certainly within their reach after a respectable showing for the first two periods of hockey. But for some inexplicable reason, the Thrashers failed to show up for the final frame of action and accomplished next to nothing for the final 20 minutes. A late Kovalchuk (who else?) goal on the team's only recorded shot on goal through the first 16-plus minutes provided a glimmer of hope (lest it was nothing but the shimmer of unrealized hopes and dreams) in the waning minutes of the game. But alas, the final Thrashers goal served only to exacerbate an overwhelming sense of doom that has gripped this particular Thrashers fan along with many other crestfallen souls who hastened their way to the exit of TJ's Bar and Grill in Alpharetta, GA this bone-chilling night in late December. I didn't think I had any words to express my sadness and exasperation, but in truth I simply have no answers for what has happened to a hockey team that once showed such promise and potential earlier this season.

I would be remiss if I did not express my thanks and gratitude to the Atlanta Thrashers Fan Club, led by Lisa Lewis and Sean Grace, for providing a fun and raucous atmosphere for game-watching at the always hospitable establishment owned and operated by former Atlanta Flames player, Tim Ecclestone. Despite the very disappointing outcome, preceeded by a very uninspired and lackluster effort by the Thrashers, I very much enjoyed making the acquaintance of the following fellow Thrasherville residents: "Russian" along with his two fine sons, "Daculafan" of the blog "FanThrashtic", and "Glovesave29". As always, it was a pleasure seeing and spending time with "Big Shooter", "French Catalogues" and "Razor Catch Prey" of The Blueland Chronicle, Bill "Rawhide" Tiller, "Paminski" and Karri Salonen, a fine Finnish supporter of Kari Lehtonen and the Atlanta Thrashers who helped my sweet Krisabelle gain re-entrance to the concourse during the last home game we attended. To all, keep the faith and see you at the next game down at Blueland on January 7th, 2010 against some team from the Eastern Conference that will probably beat us.

1 comment:

Mortimer Peacock said...

I'm bummed I missed the gathering, Mr. Speaker.

Between you and me (in public), I've even more sorry I missed the 2nd bowling extravaganza. Next time, next time. There will be more pratfalls.